Tuesday 14 October 2014

VISIT: COLOURS MAY VARY

Today I visited, Colours May Vary again for some insight into contemporary print, layout and stock attributes.
Colours May Vary is based in Leeds and is an independent shop stocking a range of beautiful, useful and inspirational wares.  Their main focus is Graphic art, illustration, photography and interiors — stocking a range of books, journals, prints, cards, gifts, wrap, textiles and stationery. Both locally and Internationally from a mix of established and up and coming producers.




When visiting Colours May Vary, they had a lot of the same magazines that were stocked in Village. However I came across a publication that I felt was very relevant to Ôrbit.




Most guides try to tell you everything there is to know about a city, we just tell you how to enjoy it. It’ is our aim to show the reader what makes a place distinctive, to shed light on obscure locations as well as revisiting well-known ones with a fresh perspective. We research each city the old-fashioned way: asking friends, acquaintances, cab drivers and concierges for their tips and then walking, tasting, sipping, and peering into doorways and down alleys. We turn that research into a compact guide with enough suggestions to keep you entertained, with a list of shops, bars, restaurants, cafés, galleries, museums and parks, each one carefully described. I really like how they focus on a city or specific subject within that area and crete mini publications about these areas. It gave me the idea that if I wanted to continue this brief beyond level 06. I could create a series of orbit publications.

Overview

Visiting an independant publication retailer gives you a view of the different books, layouts and context of publications which I found really informative. Also it gave me the opportunity to have first hand experience with how books felt and to be interacted with which also was beneficial for my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment