Thursday 18 December 2014

BRIEF 12: EVALUATION

Overview

The OS31 brief was something I really didn't expect, I initially thought the brief would be something to do with art direction and possibly help curate a project with Tony Broomhead. However it was a completely different experience, with us creating sustainable christmas trees. Although this was different from what I expected I think it was a brief that allowed me to have a break from my usual area of graphic design and channel other avenue such as product design and architecture which was a good challenge for myself.




What skills have you developed through this brief and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

The skills I have developed through this brief is working with product design, this brief has been very hands on with working with measurements and crafting. This year I have worked solely digital and this area of design production was beneficial in allowing me to see the capabilities of working like this again and working in an alternative format.



What approaches / methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

The approaches to this brief is I have never really considered sustainable issues in my practice and by doing this brief it allowed me to gain a better understanding and new found appreciation which I can take forward into my other work.


What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

The strengths within this brief was definitely working together as group, we all contributed and set tasks for one another which helped the productivity of the brief. Another strength was also pushing the brief further and using other materials to make our initial concept more refined. I will continue to work in this format as group, I think it's really important to delegate roles to ensure that a brief is successful! Also I think sometimes thinking outside the box for the brief and pushing outcomes allows a project to be more interesting and the results more beneficial so I will look into how I can do this for other projects.


What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

My crafting skills still need improving, but for this brief as a group we felt it would be most appropriate to outsource the woodwork station to ensure that the final product was a success. I will challenge this weakness in the future by continuing to experiment with packaging as a source of trial and error.

Identify things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Simply improve upon the crafting skills and network more with the visting professional, I didn't really contact Tony after the brief and I felt that was someone I could speak to about curation, for future products. Now knowing this I can possibly contact if it is relevant to anything I pursue in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment