Monday 20 October 2014

BRIEF 01: LAYOUT IDEAS

After researching primarily and secondarily into different layouts and publications I need to progress onto how to create mine. Below are some sketches of potential layouts I could use for my publication.

1.




This design follows a very consistent layout throughout the publication, using big images on one side and text on the other. I kept a minimal approach when creating this layout as I wanted the images to really take hold of the design. The design consists of 28 pages.

2.


For this design I thought I could experiment further with the alignment of the content by creating introduction pages to the destinations and then alternative pages for the content so that it gave the design a bit more visual variation but still maintaining some consistency. This layout consists of  48.

3.





For this layout I again, experimented with concept of using a circle to go with idea of orbit and the the shape of the earth, this a consistent theme running throughout the layouts. This layout has 28 pages.


4.


For this layout I wanted to create a scrapbook style layout place images and text in alternative areas, I thought of this design because it would make the design look more tangible and inviting. This layout has 28 pages.

5.



For this layout I again focused on a more simplistic layout and keeping it consistent throughout. The left hand pages are image based as this is something I think is essential in this publication as the audience can get an idea of where they would want to visit.

From my layouts I decided to expand upon design 2 further digitally to see how it would look. I decided to focus on developing the countries pages as a initial development as these are the pages with most body of content. Layout 3 kept a consistent introduction to the countries but had alternative designs on the information pages to show variety also, I think this will be an interesting layout to work with.


Development 


Using Indesign I created a 4x6 grid to layout my work as this would hold the images on the introduction pages for the countries in the the perfect position. I decided to use some temporary images and place holder text just as a guide for this early stage. Below are some screen shots of my progress for the design.
























After experimenting with this layout I think it works well cohesively but still offers visual variety. There has to be a lot more development involved in regards to images and text but I think as an initial start this is something that could possibly work. For the upcoming crit I will present this to my peers and get their opinions on how I could further this design.




No comments:

Post a Comment