Monday 3 November 2014

BREIF 01: BINDING RESEARCH

For the binding of my publication, I researched into a collection of different methods that could potentially be used for when it goes to print. In this research I will have to analyse weather it's appropriate for the context of the publication and if I can do it.



2 Part Fastening



The two part metal fastening is a clean way of binding a publication and allows you to move pages around and interact with them. With the publication having an interactional map within it, this may be useful for the consumer as they could take it out with this type of binding.


Loop Staple Binding




Loop staple binding is a really interesting technique and is something I have never used before, If I use this biding I could potentially add it to a travel file or would work well with some packaging ideas. However after researching into how to obtain these staples, there is special machine that needs to be used in order for it too work and costs around £500! Which is out of my price range. I also checked if the university has the facilities to do this which they don't so I would have to find who does it outside of university if I choose this method.


Stab Stitch



Stab Stitch binding is a beautiful technique and has exposed back pages which give it a raw quality. However when visiting Vernon street to talk about the method, Sarah explained that it is very time consuming and there isn't a guarantee that all the pages would be aligned. With that in mind I didn't want the design of my publication to be jeopardised and also I have to consider the time scale of other briefs I am considering.



Perfect Binding



Perfect biding is a conventional and practical way of biding for most publications. I think this type of method would be right for my publication as a lot of travel publications follow this convention and also it's looks easy to do and there a facilities for me to practice this. This will be something I will research further into.


In my research into biding methods I really want to consider what would be relevant to the context of my publication, Although there are a lot of interesting method out there I want to choose one that will be easy for me to do a high quality and will be beneficial for the target market. With this in mind I will research further in how I can perfect bind my book.

Workshop

I selected a day in the week to do a drop in session of book binding at Vernon street, to get a some background on how I could book bind and if it would be the best option for my travel publication. I re-visited how to do a few potential processes to use. I documented my work photographically with some additional notes that were explained by the inductor.


Pamphlet Stich






   

Notes:

  • The thicker the stock the less pages.
  • Keep pages a good few mm away.
  • Use a bone folder to fold pages, teflon bone folders don't leave marks on the pages.
  • Use an awl to create the holes in your book ready for the thread to stitch them. Starting in the centre and then the outside.
  • To cut line your book ip with a line on the cutting matt and using a ruler and stanley knife slowly cut the access pages.
  • I tried to cut my pages into curves but it was quite a tricky process so I cut it back to normal.



Perfect Bind







Notes:

  • Trim the spine to make it even this is an important step
  • Take a bench press and put the pages in there
  • Using grey board put it at either sides
  • Works best with thicker paper make sure the bench press is tight so the paper doesn't warp
  • Sand it to roughen the edges and apply PVA glue with your finger, then add a gauze and do the same process again.
  • Leave to dry and remove from the press.
  • Attach a cover using PVA glue again and leave to set.


Evaluation of process

This induction has allowed me to see a few potential methods of book binding and how to do them which is beneficial for my practice. It also allowed me to consider what I want to use for my book, which is a perfect bind. I chose this method because I felt confident in executing it and also because I think it's suitable for the purpose of my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment